VITILIGO (Pronounced /Vertil~eye~go)  

Posted by Chon On Blog




I know of a school friend suffering from this skin disorder. Oh my, how he suffered… He didn’t have many friends in school then and I’m sure, doesn’t have many, still.

With those white patches on his hands and cheeks, my friend was, how should I say, not normal. Most students shunned him. He was a social outcast, of sort. I cannot recall seeing him at any of our gatherings…you know… parties, campings etc.

He was a bright student but was reclusive because of the condition, sopak as we know it in Malay. He didn't mix around much, avoided crowd. Surely he was ashamed of his condition. Depressed, his results were in the red zone, his studies were effected, future doomed. We were of not much help either. We didn’t know what to do to lift his spirit because we knew next to nothing about the condition. He didn’t do well in school and after Form 5, returned to his kampung in Baling to help his father tap rubber.

We wrote to each other a few years after school. Then his letters stopped coming. I lost touch with him thereafter, until I was posted to Alor Setar. I was on an assignment in Baling Town one day in late 1990s, covering the visit of former prime minister Datuk Seri (now Tun) Dr Mahathir Mohamad to the district, when I noticed a familiar face in the crowd. It was him, my long lost friend, standing a distance away from the rest. I approached him, reminded him of who I was, and saw his face lit up.

After completing my work, we went for a drink and shared our life stories. It saddened me to find out that my friend was still very much a loner. He still had the condition, which by then, had spread to most of his face and body. Poor him.

What is this condition called vitiligo? According to Wikipedia, vitiligo or leukoderma is a chronic skin disease that causes loss of pigment, resulting in irregular pale patches of skin. The precise cause of vitiligo is complex and not fully understood. There is some evidence suggesting it is caused by a combination of auto-immune, genetic, and environmental factors. The population incidence worldwide is considered to be between 1% and 2%.

Half of people with vitiligo develop patches of de-pigmented skin appearing on extremities before their 20s. The patches may grow, shrink, or remain constant in size. Patches often occur symmetrically across both sides on the body. Occasionally small areas may repigment as they are recolonised by melanocytes.

The location of vitiligo affected skin changes over time, with some patches re-pigmenting and others becoming affected.

Vitiligo may also be caused by stress that affects the immune system, leading the body to react and start eliminating skin pigment.

Vitiligo on the scalp may affect the color of the hair (though not always), leaving white patches or streaks. It will similarly affect facial and body hair.

Some symptoms are:
  • white patches on the skin, including the face, limbs, torso, and groin

  • purple or golden brown patches on mucous membranes and around the eyes, nostrils, and mouth;

  • premature graying of hair;

  • sun sensitivity

Vitiligo is associated with autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, commonly thyroid overexpression and underexpression.

Vitiligo can have a significant effect on the psychological well being of the patient. This is especially true for darker skinned patients as the contrast between pigmented and depigmented skin can be quite drastic.

In some cultures there is a stigma attached to having vitiligo. Those affected with the condition are sometimes thought to be evil or diseased and are sometimes shunned by others in the community. People with vitiligo may feel depressed because of this stigma

There are a few famous people inflicted with this skin disorder, among them:

  • Amitabh Bachchan, Leading Bollywood Celebrity, diagnosed with the condition in the 1980s. In fact the patches on the hand are quite visible in a number of movies, such as Agneepath.

  • Michael Jackson, revealed he suffers during an interview on the The Oprah Winfrey Show in 1993, after being diagnosed in the early 1980s.

Why does this concern me? As a matter of fact, it does concern me, my family alot….specifically my son, Adil or Patpat, as we affectionately call him.

My wife and I thought a white spot on his right cheek, under his eye was just a fungus infection...panau, in Malay. Took him to the doctor, who gave creams to apply but the white spot didn’t vanish. Instead, it grew bigger to about the size of a 20 sen coin! Another spot also appeared at the corner of his right eye, at the end of the eyebrow.

A couple of months later, we decided to take him to a dermatologist. It was then we found out that stubborn white spot was actually vitiligo. Instantly, I remembered my friend in Baling and of his “sufferings”. It shudders me to think of the emotional effect this condition would have on my son. Like how it ruined my friend's life!

Patpat is on medication now and the spot, I observed, is fading. It is not as pale as before. We are praying for the best and InsyaAllah, won’t give up finding the cure for him, no matter how much it will cost us as long as we can spare him from the embarrassment.

We earnestly hope Patpat will lead a normal life, grow up happy, smart, well liked by all and achieve his ambition of becoming a neurosurgeon, that is if he fails to become a cardiologist. That was what he told me. ("I want to save lives. Make lots of money and drive a Ferrari. I'll buy you a BMW convertible, Pa," said Patpat of his dream job. Kids nowadays! When I was small, I only wanted to drive a bus...). Neurosurgeon, cardiologist, scientist, pilot, lawyer, teacher, soldier, entrepreneur...whatever, I just want him to be healthy and happy.

That reminds me..I must do something about that Playstation game!!!





This entry was posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

Anonymous  

im 19 n i got it too dude!!! on my forehead, im always usin my hair to cover it...ohhh all those hairstyles im missing out on! lol
hope, ur son gets well!!

Anonymous  

still in touch with your old friend?

No one know more than me about the skin condition vitiligo. it is not pronounced as you describe but it is as Vy -til- Eye- go. For the proof you can confirm from the wikipedia page about the vitiligo and listen or you can also utalyze the live support of the Vitiligo Site for more confirmation.
However never mind this becauses what which you pronounce Vitiligo is Vitiligo.

Thanks Awais.. Vy-til-Eye-go it is then. I wish you all the very best.

Anonymous  

This is what I've read so far. Extreme cases of vitiligo can be treated using monobenzone. This cream is very hard to get access to unless of course, your dermatologist prescribes it for you. Extreme care and observance must be done while using this cream as damage caused by it is permanent and irreversible. What this cream does is, it depigmentize your skin, meaning rather than treating the white spots, it turns the rest of your body white. People who use this are mainly dark-skinned people where the white spots are extremely obvious and once they've started using it, they are in it for the long run in order to change the skin of their whole body (to mask the Vitiligo spots); normally approximately 4-5 years. It isn't practical since it basically kills your pigment and in turn makes your skin sensitive. It's scary, but for some people, it's the answer.

Hi there,
I came across your blog while searchng for new information on Vitiligo.

I have the disease too, I think I got it around 12 years old, when I noticed a white 5 sen patch on my left cheek, and beforei knoew it, it spread one day after I have been out for too long for a sports event.

Hmmm I took medication, but stopped after a while. I noticed that it came back, and came back twice as large. I wish all the best to your son, just a word of advice, jangan suruh dia berjemur, it will look less obvious kalau fair skin, so berjemur is a no no.

Dont worry about it, your son will be successful. There will be those moments, for sure, but I am proud to say, I trun out to be okay. Check me out on my blog www.hanahamidi.blogspot.com

Hi, it was nice reading your article, i m 31 now and have vitiligo since past 9 yrs now, was hard to accept but now thanks to certain make up comflage it has made me comfortable to move socially, i would like to share this product its called derma color by krylon , its easily available simple to use and harmless. We really have no cure to this but hope soon something will comeup for rescue, if nothing atleast thanks to make up we can make ourselves comfortable in our own skin. Love and acceptance from family n friends play vital role and means a lot